How many BTUs is a Trane XR80?

Trane is listing the BTU ratings of a number of different Trane XR80 models. You will probably not find your exact model in the following list. By dismissing any specific letters in your model number and matching by number only, you can find a way to discover the right rating for your model. If you haven’t got the installers manual book anymore, which also has this detail information, this is your best guess to identifying Trane XR80 BTUs.

What Is BTU?

The word BTU stands for British Thermal Unit. BTU is an unit of measurement of energy. 1 BTU is the energy needed to heat 1 pound of water by 1° Fahrenheit. We often refer to the British Thermal Unit as a BTU, but the rating is actually the BTUs per hour, or BTU/h.

BTU ratings are the industry standard for measuring a furnace’s heating efficiency. It helps estimate how much heat energy it will require to heat your home.

You’ll want to look at an unit’s BTU as well as its efficiency. For example, a furnace rated as 100,000 BTU input uses 100,000 BTU per hour. How effectively the furnace turns gas into heating energy rated by AFUE rating. A 95 percent efficient furnace rated at 100,000 BTU provides about 95,000 BTU of heating energy to your home – the remaining 5% is what is lost through the flue.

How to Find the BTU rating of Trane XR80 Furnace?

Trane XR80 furnace tell you the BTU rating in the model number itself. For example:

The Trane XR80 model TUD060C936K4 is not listed below. However, xxx060x936x matches TUD1B060A9361A, and both are 56,000 BTU models.

Trane XR80 Gas Furnace (Upflow/Horizontal)

ModelNominal Capacity Output* (BTUH)
#TUD1A040A9241A32,000
#TUD1A040A9301A32,000
#TUD1A060A9241A47,000
#TUD1A060A9361A47,000
#TUD1B060A9361A47,000
#TUD1B080A9241A64,000
#TUD1B080A9361A63,000
#TUD1B080A9481A64,000
#TUD1C080A9601A64,000
#TUD1C100A9361A79,000
#TUD1C100A9451A80,000
#TUD1C100A9481A79,000
#TUD1C100A9601A79,000
#TUD1D100A9721A80,000
#TUD1C120A9541A96,000
#TUD1D120A9601A96,000
#TUD1D140A9601A111,000

Trane XR80 Gas Furnace (Downflow/Horizontal)

ModelNominal Capacity Output (BTUH)
#TDD1A040A9241A31,000
#TDD1A060A9241A48,000
#TDD1A060A9361A48,000
#TDD1B060A9361A48,000
#TDD1B080A9361A64,000
#TDD1B080A9451A64,000
#TDD1B100A9451A80,000
#TDD1C100A9481A80,000
#TDD1C100A9541A81,000
#TDD1C120A9541A96,000
#TDD1D120A9601A96,000
#TDD1D140A9601A113,000

Replacing an Old Trane XR80 Furnace

If you will replace the Trane XR80 furnace and you’re happy with the current performance, you may consider to just keep with your current BTU output. You should first verify the output BTU of your Trane XR80 furnace by checking the input BTU and efficiency rating. Once you have that output BTU, shop around for more efficient furnaces that offer a matching output BTU. One of the best parts of upgrading your Trane XR80 is the huge gain in energy efficiency.

For determining the total BTU rating of all furnaces in a home, it is necessary to collect all Trane XR80 model numbers. Assuming that the model in the attic room has the same rating as the one in the basement doesn’t work. In many cases the attic furnace has a lower BTU rating, since the First floor has a bigger load.

Work with a licensed HVAC technician to calculate your home’s needs the right way and make your new furnace a perfect fit.

About Mas Broto

Have been in the heating and air conditioning (HVAC) industry for over 20 years. He is person that will grow and thrive to learn more about the HVAC industry throughout his career. Mas Broto is also a blogger, who's dedicated to bringing you the best knowledge to get ahead in the game of life.