If you have a Coleman HVAC units in your home, use this guide to find the age or year of the manufacture. There are many variations of the Coleman serial numbers. Knowing how to read your serial number can help when you determine the coleman furnace age. Coleman serial number also helps when registering or lookup the warranty.
Coleman have a good standing in the HVAC industry. Coleman is the sister brand of York, both owned by Johnson Controls. In 1990, Beacon Capital Corporation negotiated the purchase of Coleman®’s Heating & Air Conditioning division to create Evcon Industries. By 1996, Unitary Products Group of York, A Johnson Controls Company had acquired Evcon Industries and continued to market their products under the Coleman-Evcon name.
Coleman furnace age can be determined from the serial number usually located on the data plate. There are 4 different styles of serial numbers to determine the year of the manufacture. The serial numbers on their newest product, you will find similarities between Coleman and York.
Before we deep into how to decode Coleman serial number, first lets find out where the serial number located.
Coleman Serial Number Location
When you purchase Coleman product, the dealer invoice should include the serial and model number. If you loose those manuals, you can find the Coleman serial number on the data tag inside the unit. It is not difficult to find where this sticker is located. See the example in the following image.
How to Decode Coleman Serial Number
There are 4 different styles and format of Coleman furnace serial numbers. The style 1 and 2 are the original Coleman serial number, the style 3 and 4 are also York serial number systems. Here the example serial number styles and ho to read it:
Coleman Serial Number format: #01881234
- Prior to April 1992. This style of serial number ended in 1991.
- Ten (10) character all numerical serial number.
- Year of manufacture 3rd-4th digits of the serial number.
- Month of manufacture is 1st-2nd digits of the serial number.
Using the first, second, third and fourth digits of the serial number 01881234 you will find the month and year of manufacture. The first and second digits are the month and the third and fourth digits are the year. This unit was manufactured in January, 1988.
Coleman Serial Number format: #97104119
- This style of serial number began in 1992.
- Nine (9) character all numerical serial number.
- Year of manufacture is 1st-2nd digits of the serial number.
- Month of manufacture 3rd-4th digits of the serial number.
- This serial number was transcribed from an actual unit during a home inspection.
Using the first, second, third and fourth digits of the serial number 97104119 you will find the year and month of manufacture. The first and second digits are the year and the third and fourth digits are the month. This unit was manufactured in October, 1997.
Coleman Serial Number format: #WAKM011379
- This style of serial number actually used by York, began in 1971 to 2004.
- Ten (10) character Serial number. Begins with four (4) letters and ends with six (6) numerical digits.
- Month of manufacture is 2nd letter digit.
- Year of manufacture is 3rd letter digit.
This style of Serial Number is formatted with four letters at the beginning of the sequence. The second letter is the month of manufacture and the third letter is the year of manufacture. Use the tables below to decipher the letter to months and years.
Coleman Serial Number format: #W1L6029995
- Ten (10) character Serial number. Begins with one (1) letter digit followed by one (1) numerical digit, then another one (1) letter digit and ends with seven (7) numerical digits.
- Year of manufacture is 2nd-4th numerical digits combined.
- Month of manufacture is 3nd character, which is a letter digit.
The 2nd and 4th digits serial number represent the last two digits of the year of manufacture. So in the case above, W1L6029995 = 1 and 6, would be manufactured in 2016. The 3rd digit is the moth, use the second appearing letter and the table above.
If you still have any questions related to Coleman Serial Number, please comment below.