Hello and welcome to an in-depth exploration of Intertherm furnaces, a prominent figure in the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) market. My journey over the past 20 years as a professional HVAC technician has been multifaceted—not only have I repaired and installed systems, but I’ve also guided individuals through the intricate labyrinth of home heating options. I’ve witnessed first-hand the industry’s evolution, the advancement of technologies, and Intertherm’s consistent role at the vanguard of this progression.
Since its acquisition by Nordyne in 1987, Intertherm has been producing quality heating and cooling products for over seven decades. Known for its sturdy and dependable HVAC solutions, Intertherm presents an array of furnaces that cater to various requirements, encompassing gas, electric, and oil models. Each category of furnace offers unique benefits and is suited for specific applications, details of which I will elucidate in this guide.
The essence of Intertherm’s product range is its variety. Whether you’re searching for the steadfast dependability of a gas furnace, the clean operation of an electric unit, or the intense heat provided by an oil furnace, Intertherm’s lineup has something to meet your needs. By blending innovation with extensive experience, they have successfully secured a niche in the HVAC industry synonymous with quality and durability.
Throughout this review, I will guide you through the intricacies of Intertherm furnaces. We’ll delve into their energy efficiency, technological advancements, and what sets these furnaces apart in the market. For those contemplating an Intertherm furnace for your residence or business, I’ll furnish the insights necessary to select the most fitting model for your unique circumstances.
Intertherm Furnaces Features
Beyond the standard efficiency ratings, which comfortably surpass what’s common in the market, these furnaces are engineered with features that cater to modern homes’ nuanced needs.
Intertherm demonstrates a strong commitment to energy efficiency, evident in their wide selection of furnaces boasting Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings that range from a solid 80% to an impressive 96%. These high-efficiency models not only meet but often exceed federal energy efficiency standards. Such efficiency signifies that a substantial proportion of energy consumption is effectively converted into heat, thus minimizing waste and enhancing warmth delivery.
This efficiency equates to a lesser environmental footprint and financial advantages for homeowners, as these furnaces can significantly reduce energy expenditures. With Intertherm, high efficiency transcends mere energy savings—it represents a wise, eco-friendly investment that contributes to the comfort and sustainability of one’s home.
Dual Shut-Off Gas Valves
Intertherm furnaces incorporate advanced safety features, with the dual shut-off valves being particularly notable. This mechanism guarantees 100% gas shut-off for the utmost safety. It offers homeowners peace of mind by ensuring their furnace operates free from gas leaks—a critical consideration for any household appliance running on gas.
Continuous Fan Switch
The continuous fan switch is a standout feature, facilitating the persistent circulation of room air. This is advantageous throughout the year, enhancing living space comfort and air quality. It’s an especially beneficial feature for those with health sensitivities or for anyone aiming for a more comfortable and breathable home environment.
Built-In Coil Cabinet
Intertherm furnaces are designed with convenience in mind, featuring a built-in coil cabinet that simplifies the addition of split system air conditioners and heat pumps. This design reflects the brand’s dedication to offering versatile heating solutions that adapt easily to evolving needs and technologies.
Intertherm’s foresight is also apparent in the design of AC-ready furnaces, which allow for effortless integration of a cooling system. This preparedness for add-on functionality assures that homeowners can maintain comfort and operational efficiency throughout the year, smoothly transitioning between the heating and cooling seasons.
Meets HUD Requirements
Adherence to HUD (Housing and Urban Development) standards is pivotal for many homeowners, especially those in manufactured homes. Intertherm furnaces comply with these rigorous regulations, affirming their reliability and safety for diverse residential settings and reinforcing their reputation as dependable HVAC industry leaders.
Intertherm Furnace Models
Intertherm furnaces are tailored to meet various needs, offering models with high efficiency and innovative features. Below, we will explore some key models and their distinctive characteristics.
MG2S & MG3S Gas Furnaces – 96% AFUE
The MG2S and MG3S models are the epitome of efficiency, reaching up to 96% AFUE. These units come equipped with:
- Two-stage gas valve: This allows for low heat operation during mild temperatures, saving energy.
- Fixed-speed blower: It provides a wide range of cooling and heating airflows for different comfort levels.
- Optimal staging on ignition board: Compatible with single-stage thermostats for easy use.
- Coil cabinet options: Available in models with or without a coil cabinet to accommodate different cooling coil sizes.
- Energy efficiency: These furnaces are so efficient they may qualify for local rebates and incentives.
- Silicon nitride hot surface igniter: Utilizes SmartLite® technology for an extended igniter lifespan.
- Stainless steel secondary heat exchangers: For long-lasting performance.
- Flexible venting: Can be vented vertically or horizontally, with options for utilizing existing chimneys.
- Fully insulated cabinet: Ensures minimal heat loss and quiet operation.
- Diagnostic lights: Simplify troubleshooting for quick maintenance.
CMF95 Gas Furnace – 95.1% AFUE
The CMF95 stands out for its:
- Compact design: An 18-inch width makes it ideal for tight spaces.
- High-efficiency rating: At 95.1% AFUE, it ensures quality and dependability.
- High static blowers: These accommodate higher resistance in the ductwork.
- Durable heat exchangers: Made of heavy gauge aluminized steel and stainless steel.
- Diagnostic lights: For easy troubleshooting.
- Vent termination kit: Optional accessory for homes with existing metal roof jacks.
CMF3 Gas Furnace – 80% AFUE
The CMF3 model offers:
- Versatility: Suitable for gas and oil fuel sources.
- New door design: Reduces the chance of damage and facilitates easier access.
- Disposable paper air filter: Offers better filtering for cleaner air.
- Improved door features, Including upgraded metal latches and more louvers for enhanced airflow.
- Standard Beckett gas burners: Recognized for their reliability.
- Multi-speed blower and burner: For increased efficiency and longevity.
- Titanium-treated aluminized steel: Provides a strong, durable heat exchanger.
- Powder coat finish: For rust and corrosion protection.
- Quality and safety testing: Rigorous testing ensures reliability.
E7 Electric Furnaces
E7 electric furnaces are recognized for their:
- UL-compliant heater kits: Factory installed for safety and compliance.
- Multiple cooling speeds: 16 speeds ensure optimal comfort.
- Blower delay: Integrated for improved cooling performance.
- Proven components: For high quality, dependability, and safety.
- Manufactured housing design: Fits easily in enclosed spaces.
- Multi-speed blowers: Enhance air circulation for large areas.
- Corrosion protection: A powder coat finish guards against rust.
- AC and HP readiness: Compatible with up to 5 tons for AC and 4 tons for HP systems.
- Accessories: A range of options to fit various installations.
- QR code: For quick access to the latest literature and support.
Each of these models embodies Intertherm’s commitment to providing efficient, reliable, and convenient heating solutions tailored to a range of residential and commercial settings. Whether you are upgrading an existing system or installing a new one, Intertherm furnaces are designed to deliver consistent comfort and peace of mind.
Intertherm Furnace Price
The average cost of Intertherm gas furnace installation is between $2,500 and $5,000.
The cost for an Intertherm electric furnace ranges from approximately $750 to $1,000 for the unit itself. For total costs, including installation, prices can vary between $1,150 and $2,500
The purchase price of an Intertherm furnace will vary widely based on several factors:
- Model and Size: Different models, from basic to high-efficiency units with advanced features, come with varying price tags. Additionally, the size of the furnace, which is tailored to the square footage of the space, can affect the cost.
- Installation Complexity: The cost can increase if the installation is complex due to the layout of the home or if modifications are needed to accommodate the new system.
- Local Market Rates: Installation labor costs vary by region and can significantly impact the total upfront cost.
- Dealer and Seasonal Discounts: Sometimes, dealers offer promotions or discounts, and seasonal offers can also affect pricing.
Given these variables, providing an exact price without a specific model and installation scenario is challenging.
To obtain accurate pricing, it is best to reach out directly to local distributors, retailers, or HVAC contractors who can provide quotes based on the specific Intertherm model you are interested in. They will consider all the factors mentioned previously, including the size of your home, the specific furnace model, installation complexity, and any ongoing promotions or rebates.
Remember also to inquire about potential savings through energy rebates offered by local utility companies or federal tax credits for energy-efficient appliance purchases, which can significantly offset the initial cost of a new furnace.
Intertherm’s warranty policies underscore their commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. They offer comprehensive warranty terms on their heating and cooling products, specifically for manufactured housing. Understanding the warranty details is crucial when investing in an Intertherm furnace, as it provides a layer of protection for your investment. Here are the key aspects of Interterm’s warranty offerings:
Standard Warranty Coverage:
- 1-Year Limited Parts Warranty: All Intertherm products carry a one-year warranty on parts, ensuring that any defects in materials or workmanship are covered.
- 5-Year Limited Compressor Warranty: The compressor, the heart of the furnace’s cooling system, comes with a 5-year warranty, providing reassurance for one of the most vital and expensive components.
Additional Warranty for Specific Components:
- Gas/Electric Packaged Systems and Furnaces: Beyond the 1-year warranty, these systems come with a 10-year limited warranty on the heat exchanger, a core component that transfers heat and is essential for the efficiency and longevity of the furnace.
- MG2 and CMF Series Furnaces: These specific models boast an even more extended warranty period on their heat exchangers, offering a 20-year limited warranty. This extended coverage indicates Intertherm has confidence in its heat exchangers’ durability and performance.
Extended Warranty Options:
- Extended Limited Parts Warranty: By registering your standard condenser, you can extend the 1-year limited parts warranty up to 5 or even 10 years. This offer applies to certain models, and checking the warranty document for specific details is advisable.
The Intertherm warranty is designed to assure customers that their heating and cooling systems are protected against potential issues, reflecting the brand’s dedication to manufacturing durable and reliable products. Homeowners are encouraged to register their products promptly to take full advantage of the extended warranty options, ensuring peace of mind and protection for their HVAC investments over the long term.
Customer Reviews and Feedback on Intertherm Furnaces
Intertherm furnaces often receive praise in customer feedback for their reliable performance and efficient operation. Customers appreciate the brand’s commitment to quality and the longevity of their units, which is a testament to their durable design. The variety of models available means that there’s likely an Intertherm furnace to meet the specific needs of many different homes and climates.
However, like any product on the market, Intertherm furnaces are not immune to criticism. Some customers have reported issues with specific components, such as the blower motors or electronic control boards. These components are critical to furnace operation, and issues can lead to discomfort and the need for repairs. It’s also important to note that user experiences with customer service vary, and this can influence the overall satisfaction with the brand.
In conclusion, Intertherm furnaces present a compelling option for those in the market for a new heating system. Their high-efficiency ratings make them a prudent choice for homeowners looking to reduce their energy bills and environmental impact. The durable design of Intertherm furnaces speaks to the brand’s commitment to quality and longevity, ensuring that customers can rely on their heating system through many winters.
Intertherm’s varied lineup caters to a broad spectrum of needs, from smaller homes requiring basic heating solutions to larger properties needing advanced features and greater heating power. This diversity allows customers to select a furnace that aligns closely with their specific requirements and budget.
On the flip side, the higher initial costs of Intertherm furnaces, compared to some budget-friendly options, may necessitate a closer look at long-term savings versus upfront expenditures. While most feedback on Intertherm is positive, potential buyers should be aware of reported issues with certain models and components. Additionally, experiences with customer service vary, which can significantly influence satisfaction.
Ultimately, an Intertherm furnace is an investment in comfort and efficiency. By weighing the pros against the cons and considering the aggregate customer feedback, individuals can decide to best suit their heating needs and ensure a warm, comfortable home for years to come.